Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Surprised By Trees

I am not a fan of winter weather. It seems to me that Christmas is fine for snow, but beyond that I have no use for it. It is cold, and I crave hot. It is dark and I need light. So, imagine my surprise today when God showed up for me in the winter weather.

We've had quite a snow and ice storm these past few days in Indiana. I ventured out into it yesterday and it was nasty! Slushy, snowy, freezing rain. Then hubby called while I was sitting perusing Beth Moore's newest book and sipping my mocha at Barnes and Noble. (I have a sitter on Tuesdays.) He told me to get home because he had heard that the weather was getting worse. I bought a few books --"The Great Omission" by Dallas Willard, "Confessions of an Amateur Believer" by Patty Kirk nd the latest "Leadership" magazine and "Simple Scrapbooks" magazine-- then I dutifully obeyed my smart husband and headed home.

By this time, the rain was coming down frozen, and the roads were very slick. Actually, they were more like solid sheets of ice. Trees and power lines were being coated with ice. While traveling a tree-lined street on the way home, I heard a crack, and glanced up just in time to see an ice-covered branch smack the street in front of me. The ice was so heavy, the branch had bowed under the weight. So, needless to say, I was glad to get home and since it continued to rain and snow well into the night, I was happy to stay in all day today with my kiddos.

Hubby called before coming home this evening and offered to take the kiddos and me out for a Valentine's Day dinner. I laugh when I reminisce about our long, lingering Valentine's Day dinners of years past. Tonight we went to family-friendly Cracker Barrell and had a ball with our children. On the way to the restaurant, our family beheld the most amazing sight.

It was the time of day that photographers refer to as the magic hour. The sun was just ready to set and the light from the sun was casting a glow all over the earth. And then we saw them...the trees...ice covered and full of crystal-like brilliance. It's times like this that I wish I were a better writer, so that I could convey to you the glassy splendor of these trees. The ice was slathering the trees, tall trees that lined the highway, from bottom to top. And the sun was casting just the right light to illuminate the tops of the trees as if they were lit with millions of tiny Christmas lights! It was absolutely breathtaking. The children, their father, and I were in awe, praising God all the way to the restaurant for his creativity, and for allowing us to be surrounded by the majesty and beauty of His creation. My middle daughter, who appreciates nature to the fullest, often teaching her parents a thing or two about wonder, commented all the way to our destination. She was really appreciating God's handiwork as usual. And I was humbled because I am usually complaining about the snow and ice. My sweet Jesus amazed me with Himself. The Creator of heaven and earth reached down and touched my soul through the beauty of His glassy trees.

From whose womb has come the ice? And the frost of heaven, who has given it birth? Job 38:29

You alone, o Lord. You alone.

No comments: