Thursday, March 30, 2006

Spilled Milk

Does anyone else go completely ballistic over spilled milk? With a toddler and two preschoolers, this happens a lot at my house. I rarely handle it well. I think the saying about "not crying over spilled milk" must have been coined about the children under this roof. I don't exactly know what happens inside me when the I hear the splatter of milk running off onto the floor. But my angry alter-ego almost always makes her appearance in some form. I used to come unglued! Now, I just grit my teeth and start barking directions like General Schwarzkopf. But deep inside, I'm like a volcano ready to explode. I want to keep this emotion in check so that I don't scar my children for life, but it's often very difficult for me!



Here's a verse that I memorized early into my mothering, not because it actually applied (yet), but because it was a part of the passage I was working on. "Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." (James 1: 19-20) Now when I memorized that verse, I had 1 adorable little baby. How could I ever get angry with that perfect child? But just like it says in Isaiah, God's Word never returns void, but always accomplishes that for which He sent it. (Isaiah 55:11) My Heavenly Father knew that I needed that verse very soon. I'm waiting for that "accomplishing" part to come to fruition in my life. And, I'm trusting in a perfect, merciful, loving Abba to see that it will.

No comments: